24.5 °C
EN
DE
DE
Princely Discounts
News
Events
Goldclub
Bar
Villa Schönthal
Küffer Keller
Meetings and Conferences
Art Gallery
Single Room
Basic
Superior
Superior Plus
Superior Balcony
Deluxe
Children
Pets
Price Information
Dining in the Castle
Menu Card
Wine Card
Winter Garden & Terrace
Wine Cellar
Festivities
Grill Tavern
Indoor & Outdoor Pools
Thai Yoga
Massages
Wachau Valley
Cultural Sights
Sport
Ferry Boat
Excursions with Children
Thiery Family
History of the Castle
Relais & Chateaux
Staff
About the town
Jobs & Career
Arrival
Parking
Tesla Docking Station
Press
Conditions
NEWS & OFFERS
Princely Discounts
News
Events
Goldclub
NEWS & OFFERS
Princely Discounts
News
Events
Goldclub
10   
History of the castle
  • ZELKINGER

The "New Castle" was built from 1622 to 1630 by Christoph Wilhelm from the art-loving family of the barons of Zelking at the place where the Maissauer Hof and houses of wine-makers used to stand. The architect was probably the comics based in Krems Cipriano Biasino, who also built the Krems parish church.
By marriage, the property was in 1634 to Heinrich von Zinzendorf and Pottendorf.

  • ZINZENDORFER

The counts of Zinzendorf and Pottendorf were an ancient Lower Austrian race, which, like most of the nobility in Lower Austria, converted to Protestantism. In the course of the Counter-Reformation these genders left their old homeland and also the Zinzendorfs found a new home in Dresden. A grandson, Nikolaus Ludwig, became the founder of the "Herrenhuter Gesellschaft", which still operates worldwide today.
In 1663 they sold the castle to Conrad Balthasar, Count of Starhemberg.

  • STARHEMBERG

In contrast to the previous owners, the castle was not the residence of the Starhembergs, but was occasionally used only during visits to the winery and on the occasion of the hunt. Outstanding event was the September 1683, where Emperor Leopold I, who lay with a small flotilla at Dürnstein and lived in the castle, received the news of the Turkish liberation of Vienna.
In 1937, Ernst Rüdiger of Starhemberg sold the castle to the Thiery family.

  • CASTLE

In 1937 Raimund Thiery bought the castle from Ernst Rüdiger von Starhemberg. The conversion he had begun to become a hotel was continued by his son Johann Thiery and his wife Rosemarie, the current senior managers. Year after year it has been rebuilt, expanded and embellished, and almost no winter goes by when it is not renovated.
The son Christian Thiery has taken over the management and runs together with his sister Maria Katharina the operation
History of the castle
  • ZELKINGER

The "New Castle" was built from 1622 to 1630 by Christoph Wilhelm from the art-loving family of the barons of Zelking at the place where the Maissauer Hof and houses of wine-makers used to stand. The architect was probably the comics based in Krems Cipriano Biasino, who also built the Krems parish church.
By marriage, the property was in 1634 to Heinrich von Zinzendorf and Pottendorf.

  • ZINZENDORFER

The counts of Zinzendorf and Pottendorf were an ancient Lower Austrian race, which, like most of the nobility in Lower Austria, converted to Protestantism. In the course of the Counter-Reformation these genders left their old homeland and also the Zinzendorfs found a new home in Dresden. A grandson, Nikolaus Ludwig, became the founder of the "Herrenhuter Gesellschaft", which still operates worldwide today.
In 1663 they sold the castle to Conrad Balthasar, Count of Starhemberg.

  • STARHEMBERG

In contrast to the previous owners, the castle was not the residence of the Starhembergs, but was occasionally used only during visits to the winery and on the occasion of the hunt. Outstanding event was the September 1683, where Emperor Leopold I, who lay with a small flotilla at Dürnstein and lived in the castle, received the news of the Turkish liberation of Vienna.
In 1937, Ernst Rüdiger of Starhemberg sold the castle to the Thiery family.

  • CASTLE

In 1937 Raimund Thiery bought the castle from Ernst Rüdiger von Starhemberg. The conversion he had begun to become a hotel was continued by his son Johann Thiery and his wife Rosemarie, the current senior managers. Year after year it has been rebuilt, expanded and embellished, and almost no winter goes by when it is not renovated.
The son Christian Thiery has taken over the management and runs together with his sister Maria Katharina the operation